Same Day Dental Implants
These are dental implants performed in one treatment, rather than two stages. They are usually necessary in emergency situations.
The Same Day Dental Implant treatment process
- Usually, once a tooth is extracted, the socket needs around 6 weeks to three months to heal before a dental implant can be fitted. In some cases, it can take longer, the healing time varying from case to case.
- For patients requiring Same Day Dental Implants, tooth extraction may be necessary (only incisors, canines or pre-molars not molars due to the size of the socket that would require healing). This is then followed by an implant being placed in the same appointment, a procedure known as an ‘immediately loaded implant’. These are only possible if the patient has healthy gums and strong jawbone support, which is clinically assessed by performing a 3D CBCT scan (Cone Beam CT scan) in the first appointment. If the patient is not a suitable candidate for Same Day Implants, they may wish to have the conventional IMPLANT TREATMENT PROCESS done, which involves two stages.
- After the tooth or teeth extraction, a process known as socket preservation is sometimes necessary where a small bone is augmented to allow for the implant to be fitted securely in place.
- An abutment (collar) is affixed to the implant, followed by the temporary acrylic crown.
- The implant is then allowed to integrate into the bone structure of the jaw, which usually takes 3 to 6 months, after which the final porcelain crown is attached to the implant, replacing the temporary crown.
Can the Same Day Treatment be performed on more than one tooth?
In some cases, it may be possible to extract more than one tooth followed by fitting multiple implants in the same appointment. This would be performed to create an IMPLANT SUPPORTED BRIDGES.
Also, in certain cases, it may be possible or even necessary to extract all of the teeth and place multiple implants fitted in the same appointment – this is called ALL ON 4 DENTAL IMPLANTS or teeth in day.
How long does a same day dental implant treatment take?
- The first appointment involves the clinical assessment, where a CBCT scan is performed. Then, impressions are taken for our laboratory to manufacture a temporary crown.
- The next appointment will involve the surgical procedure to extract the tooth or teeth and the dental implant(s) and temporary crown will then be fitted.
- If necessary, socket preservation will be performed to augment the bone.
- After 3 to 6 months, the temporary crown is replaced by the final porcelain crown.